27 December 2008

Little Things, Furry Little Things

Living in Cairo means a different approach to lots of things. Here most houses have secondary staircases. Originally staff entrances and access to flats for the garbage collectors. Now the staircase at the back is where you deposit the garbage bags. In my case, living on the ground floor and living in a place with continuous plumbing problems (tho I'm by no means the only one) it means my house is (and as I heard this week, always was) a playground for mice and other animals.
One of my houseguest of the human kind, left a few bags with flower and cornflakes on the kitchen counter. Coming back from Aswan I discovered the mice had discovered the bags and already eagerly gnawed their way through the plastic. A large amount of cornflakes had disappeared under the microwave from where light crunchy sounds could be heard all day and especially all night long. 
A quick peek with a flashlight partially exposed two very small round mice irritated at being disturbed in their cornflakes fest. Alison (one of the house-guests for a week) didn't quite name them yet but already lost her heart to the little grey rodents with, as she observed, ginger patches on the chest.
A few days later one of them was discovered in the bathtub and let out using a towel as a ladder.
The bathtub, for some reason or other, held a huge attraction for the mice. In two days time two of the little round furry critters managed to get themselves trapped in there. Much to my pleasure. I haven't found anything resembling a humane mouse trap here; they have glue and pellets. I have a bathtub.
All I needed to do was gather them up in container, walk them down to the river and let them loose there. The biggest mousetrap I've ever seen and it cleans out really easy...

No comments: