26 January 2009

To Khartoum

The Sesebi season started well, Pam (Rose, one of the dig directors and all round good egg) at the airport check-in counter staying calm, outwardly at least, and the Egypt Air manager telling us that without any kind of proof of visa, I could not board the flight. Pam likes to be very much on time and thanks to me, 2 day weekends in the Khartoum Civil Service (especially the visa department) she had to wait to the very last minute before checking in. Phone calls to George, the owner of the Acropole Hotel and general fixer for problems (at a price, a large price) confirmed that the visa was on it's way but stuck in traffic. The invitation letter from NCAM (the National Committee for Archaeology and Museums) Kate (the other dig director and good stick as well) sent me via Email and which I had on my iPhone, did not impress anybody.
Closing time for check-in and I was eventually allowed to depart without visa. 
Arrival in Khartoum where it was still quite hot (about 30° at 5 pm) was different, but not much. We had to wait for my visa to get pasted in my passport and get stamped. So some minor waiting there. Taxi drive to the Acropole showed Khartoum to be a sprawling city with wide streets flanked by single story buildings, few trees and lots of red sand everywhere. Sort of like the outer 'burbs of Luxor but then much bigger. 
An African feel to everything as well.
At the Acropole Kate and Alan (Pam's hubby and my pole monkey for the season but actually a very accomplished paleobotanist and overall nice guy(with a slightly odd sense of music)) were waiting. As was part of the team of Amara with whom we were to travel up north.
The geologists Judith and Graham and an adult student, Nick, were still to arrive at 4 am that night.

2 comments:

GUIDA CASELLA said...

Hi Geckollet. Nice blog ! I wonder when you will post some illustrations! I wonder, because I am also an Archaeological Illustrator, and don't know many.
Check my blog, or website www.guidacasella.com. Best, Guida

Katy K said...

Good job getting on the plane without a visa!